Advocacy & Influence
Mitigating climate change is a key challenge for society. BAM acknowledges its responsibility as a business operating across the lifecycle of the built environment, within both buildings and infrastructure sectors. By 2050, BAM wants to have a net positive impact on the climate. We are working towards this goal by reducing our own emissions towards zero and helping others and our partners in the value chain to reduce theirs.
This means BAM aims to:
- Reduce the energy we use by digitalising our business and by improving the efficiency of our operations.
- Use as much power, fuel and heat from renewable or non-polluting sources as possible.
- Work with our clients and supply chain to reduce their emissions where BAM has the opportunity to influence.
- Bring low or zero carbon products and services to market to scale our positive impact.
- Encourage our employees to champion carbon reduction at work and at home to foster a more sustainable society.
We cannot achieve anything on our own, so we are committed to working with others, such as WorldGBC and UKGBC on advocacy, partnering on the Advancing Net Zero programme, endorsing the WorldGBC’s embodied carbon report and calling on governments to take stronger action towards a net zero carbon built environment. We are also influencing clients to choose lower carbon approaches across our construction, civil engineering and FM businesses, providing them with the support they need, for instance to identify, finance and implement carbon reduction measures.